Sunday, December 6, 2009

Entry Dated August 11, 2008 - The Rockwell B-1B Bomber in 1/48 scale.

Photobucket

The Real B-1B Lancer is an awesome sight in the skies, and the Revell B-1B in 1/48 scale is just as much of an awe-inspiring size for the model-desk. Measuring just under 3 feet in length, this beast is just about as big of a model as they will come. Even the 1/72nd scale B-52 is no match for this. Of course if they do make a 1/48 B-52, you know I’ll be one of the first to buy one. Size makes no difference to me. There are several things that make this B-1B more realistic and that involves a lot of aftermarket. First of all, the modern B-1Bs all have used the featherless exhaust cans. Unfortunately with the demise of Cutting Edge Modelworks, there doesn’t seem to be the 1/48 featherless exhaust cans available and that’s a serious shame as I was planning to do this B-1B in the modern strategic grey camo.

My B-1B
(my B-1B Bomber when it was unpacked; for right now, it's remaining in it's shipping box between moves)

Also there are plans in the works for me to pick up some 1/48 scale JDAMs. If I can scratch-build a rack to put the JDAMs onto, they’ll go in the bomb-bays rather than the nuclear SRAMs which have been decommissioned thanks to the SALT treaties. Evidently, from other modelers who have worked on this, it took them well over 100hrs of modeling time to finish this aircraft. Well…I’m certain that I’ll probably beat that amount of time by at least 200 hrs to make it a grand total of about 300 hrs, not because of my ability to work cool stuff onto that thing but because I “don’t know WTF I’m doing” yet.



I don’t plan to tackle that B-1 yet, but I will one of these days and I’m bound to have to get all the stuff that I need in order to do so. Just having to do the bomb-bays will probably drive me nuts painting and labeling each of the JDAMs and all. But well, what else can I do, but enjoy that building process knowing that there’ll be a big evil looking B-1B Lancer at the end of the build. Fear the B-ONE…Fear the BONE.

No comments:

Post a Comment